Size: 30 x 14 x 2cm / 12 x 5.5 x 1.5in
Milled from Nova Scotian grown mountain hardwood, our maple grilling plank is a unique addition to any kitchen. Perfect for summer barbeques or during the cold winter months, you will appreciate the traditional flavours and aromas of planked salmon or ribs. Paired with an award winning Nova Scotian wine, you will have a notable feast! Use one of our tasty glazes or marinades to spice up your planking adventure. Step back in time and make your next dinner party an event to remember!
The technique of cooking with a grilling plank in Nova Scotia goes back a long way. The first Acadian settlers to the region probably learned the craft from the native peoples of Acadia (Nova Scotia). The grilling was usually done inside on a roaring fireplace during the long, cold, dark winter nights. It was an excellent way to cook the local fish and game procured from the boundless rivers and forests of early Nova Scotia.
1. Soak the maple grilling plank in cold water for at least two hours.
2. Preheat barbecue grill to high, about 500 to 600 degrees F.
3. Place maple grilling plank on the grill and close barbecue lid. Preheat the plank for 2-3 minutes.
4. Place salmon fillets (either plain or marinated in maple BBQ sauce) or other meat and vegetables onto the heated maple plank.
5. Close barbecue lid and cook for 12-15 minutes. Brush salmon with Maple BBQ Sauce, marinade or a maple mustard glaze during the last 4-5 minutes of cooking.
6. When meat or vegetables are cooked, serve on plank or carefully remove from hot plank to a serving dish.
Important: Only use the maple grilling plank on an outdoor BBQ. Check plank every 3-4 minutes to ensure there are no fires! If plank flares up, simply spray with water.